Check out bikeathens.com or this blog for everything you need to know about transit, walking, and cycling in Athens. If you like to volunteer, we have plenty of opportunities! You can always check out the great local weekly, Flagpole, for transportation news and event announcements as well.
In its orientation-to-Athens issue, Flagpole generously mentions BikeAthens quite a few times...
* BikeAthens Co-Chair Amy Johnson is quoted in a story on the Long Range Transportation Plan.
Don't forget to come by Trappeze at 7 pm tonight! We'll be discussing the LRTP and finalizing BikeAthens' formal comment on the plan. If you can't make it, be sure to submit comment on the plan. If you haven't read it, don't worry! While we strongly advise you to read the plan, you can submit any comment you like on the future of transportation in Athens. It will all be considered. You can email comments to email@example.com until August 18th. Or, stay tuned for our soon-to-be-live online comment form, where you can tailor your comments on the LRTP and submit them from a single web page.
* Also, City Dope talks sidewalks, Athens Rising covers downtown and parking decks, and a feature for new arrivals points folks to our free Bike Map.
* Finally, the events calendar reminds the volunteer-minded to consider our ongoing Bike Recycling Program.
BikeAthens encourages you to walk, ride a bike, or take transit whenever possible. It's easier than you think to get around without a car! It will save you money, keep you healthier, and reduce traffic all around.
When you do drive, watch for pedestrians and cyclists, and give them the right-of-way. It's not just neighborly, it's the law!
And when you bike or walk, just remember:
- Be aware of your surroundings
- Be visible
- Ride legally & predictably
- Wear a helmet
- Share the road with all users